Sunday, February 19, 2012

Baking: Week 6 - Love - Chocolate Pudding

Week: 6
Theme: Love
Dish: Chocolate Pudding

I got the idea of making pudding while we were shopping in the grocery store and Ofer said that he wanted to try a pudding, but couldn't find an indulgent one. (ie, one that was full flavored and not marketed as trying to be healthy or less guilty) So I scoured the internet (well, I googled and clicked the first link) and found this recipe from Smitten Kitchen.

It's supposed to be a super simple recipe, but I messed up pretty badly. The end result was still really good, but now I know how to measure correctly.

From Smitten Kitchen:

Silky Chocolate Pudding Adapted from John Scharffenberger, via Wednesday Chef
Serves 6
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
6 ounces 62% semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used good quality semisweet chocolate chips; use 70% bittersweet if you want more of a dark chocolate kick)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler. Slowly whisk in the milk, scraping the bottom and sides with a heatproof spatula to incorporate the dry ingredients. Place over gently simmering water and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Use a whisk as necessary should lumps begin to form. After 15 to 20 minutes, when the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of the spoon, add the chocolate. Continue stirring for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until the pudding is smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

2. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer (or skip this step if you’re a slacker like me who is absolutely certain that there is nary a lump her puddin’) into a serving bowl or into a large measuring cup with a spout and pour into individual serving dishes.

3. If you like pudding skin, pull plastic wrap over the top of the serving dish(es) before refrigerating. If you dislike pudding skin, place plastic wrap on top of the pudding and smooth it gently against the surface before refrigerating. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days (ahem, good luck with that).



You're not actually supposed to mix in the milk while on the double broiler. Just mix it up on the counter. I misread it so that's why I have a picture of my bowl on top of the pot. I took it down after I reread it, but forgot to snap a new picture. At least this way, you know where I messed up, lol.


3 cups of milk.


Whisked it in.


This is where I found all sorts of problems. I was only supposed to heat the milk for 15-20 minutes before it's supposed to start thickening up, but it was still super liquidy. So I kept boiling it down for 10 more minutes. After 30 minutes, it was ridiculous as to why it wasn't thickening up. Ofer looked into the sink and saw that I had a 1/8 cup measuring cup in the sink and asked if I only added in 1/8 cup. Sure enough, I did. That's why it didn't thicken enough. I added a bit more corn starch and it thickened up right away.


Added the chocolate chips.


Mmmm, looked pretty good. I didn't bother running it through a sieve because I only had fine meshed sieves and wasn't sure if it was gonna be able to go through. And I was lazy. There was a lot of spoon licking to be done.


This isn't the prettiest picture, but it's hard to make pudding look glamourous. We fridged them for an hour (since we were busy eating dinner) and it came out okay. There were some chunks in it, but I wasn't sure if that was because I wasn't diligent enough in scraping the sides, if I boiled down too much milk, or if the sieve really would have been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment